An intensely honest conversation
about ethylene oxide sterilization
Andersen & Beyond Clean talk it out
Is ethylene oxide (EO or EtO) more toxic than hydrogen peroxide? What are the most prevalent myths about EO in the industry today? What does the future of EO look like?
Andersen’s President and CEO, A.E. (Ted) May joined Beyond Clean’s Justin Poulin for an intensely honest conversation about gas sterilization as part of the “2021 Expert Series Conference” held on May 14, 2021.
In typical Beyond Clean fashion, Poulin asked the tough questions regarding the history surrounding EO and its role in the future of hospital sterile processing departments, specifically around duodenoscope and endoscope reprocessing.
Every month, Andersen’s Ted May explores topics like safety, history, emissions and even molecular science related to medical device gas sterilization. These articles are published as part of Beyond Clean’s “Expert Series”—articles written by medical experts tackling some of the most pressing issues facing Sterile Processing departments.
Beyond Clean is the global voice for sterile processing, connecting individuals through innovative and disruptive platforms such as podcasting, social media and new technology.
Directly following the conversation, Ted participated in a question and answer session with viewers.
A few quick notes before we get started:
- Below is just the highlights reel.
- See the full video here.
- If you want CE visit here INSTEAD.
- Click on the question to the right that interests you most to skip right to that point in the video.
- If you click on the timestamp after any question below, it will take you directly to that point in the video.
Why did you choose the gas sterilization industry?
Audience Questions (video coming soon):
Is EO sterilization still in use by hospitals up to this day?
What is the average cost for a new EO system for a facility that has never had one?
Are there alternatives to ethylene oxide?
1. You’re passionate about gas sterilization, you’re extremely knowledgeable, you’re very involved at multiple levels throughout the entire industry – not just at your own company. What really drew you to gas sterilization and drove your passion for this industry? (1:41)
4. So, this is the Expert Series Conference and I do want to point out one of your recent articles on the Expert Series where you talked about gas efficiency. Tell us more and introduce the audience to that concept if they didn’t read your article and also, really clarify why this concept of gas efficiency is and should be very important to sterile processing professionals. (15:35)
5. One of the hottest topics in healthcare prior to the pandemic was superbugs and outbreaks. So I wondered if you could tell us, as it relates to superbugs and outbreaks, where does gas sterilization play a part? (21:07)
Audience Question & Answer Session
(Video coming soon.)